Sunday 21 August 2011

No Added Sugar Mousse

I'd had the idea for a mousse in my mind for a while which is probably where the fool idea came from.  I didn't really want to use cream though; yoghurt is healthier and has the benefit of the good bacteria for my son's gut so I wanted to use that.  Although I am a chemist in my former life and have worked for years in the food industry; having my son has made me more wary about the ingredients I chose or chose not to give him.  I don't know what you all think but have a look at a packet mousse next time you're in the supermarket and see if you would prefer the three ingredients in my Juice Mousse!



It got me thinking recently about deserts.  I've never with-held pudding even if my son doesn't eat all of his main course.  It's difficult to know what to do with toddlers; am I setting up bad habits?  Is it worse for sweet stuff to be a 'reward' or to be given whatever?  I kind of figure that if I keep what I give him as natural as possible and as unsweetened as possible, it makes him feel like he's getting something nice and sweet without going too far.  He probably has the grand total of 3 teaspoons of refined sugar in a week (more in unrefined natural sugars naturally occurring in fruits and vegetables mind.)  


I'm not sure it's totally there but my son seemed to like it.  Again, no added sugar and nothing artificial so can't be bad.  No reason why you can't serve this to a baby over 6 months either.  

No Added Sugar, No Nasties Mousse - makes 3 portions

Ingredients

150ml of juice.  Chose a naturally sweet juice (I chose grape, raspberry and blackcurrant, hence the vibrant colour!)
2 Leaves of gelatine - I have since discovered that in different countries this varies and you can buy different 'strengths'.  Use enough gelatine to set 300ml of liquid.
150g Full fat greek yoghurt

Method


Soak the gelatine for a few minutes in cold water or until floppy.  Microwave the juice on high for 1 minute or until hot but not boiling.  Dissolve the gelatine by whisking it into the hot juice.  Put in the fridge until almost set.

When you forget about it and it's solid (I did) blast it for 10-20 secs in the microwave to loosen it up (or if you're more organised and catch it at the right point, miss that step), whisk with an electrical whisk until at least doubled in volume; it takes seconds.  Mix in the yoghurt and whisk some more.  Pour into some plastic tubs.  Kept fine for 24 hours in the fridge but if the ingredients are all freshly opened I think 2 days should be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read your comments but please don't include links in them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.